Monday, May 9, 2011

Reflection of Assignment 1


Final Line Up


Mood Board


Illustration 1


Illustration 2


Illustration 3



In assignment 1 I looked at the concept of children dressing up as animals after seeing the old English gas lamps throughout the Botanic Gardens (as well as other old fashioned, fairytale like features in the gardens) as these elements created a feeling of timelessness, fantasy, and the notion of kids playing make believe.

In my designs, I used garments, like shoes and head pieces, to show the idea of children pretending to be animals in a sublte, realistic way as I had looked into animal-human hybrids in my research. I combined this with girly fairytale dress styles to demonstrate the timeless qualities fairytales have. I used brown, as it is a rustic colour associated with nature and fur, with white and pale blue which both represent innocence, purity and children.

On reflection, I think that I could have gone more extreme and avant guarde with my designs in assignment 1 as my design concept had a lot more room for growth. And although my final line up would not really be 'wearable' in terms of day to day activities, some of the individual garments within the looks I created could be commercial.

As my final line up for assignment 1 was not necessarily extreme, instead of toning down my looks from the first term to create a commercial line, I plan to try and develop a line for children using my original concept, and rethink what styles I would use based on what would be successful in the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment