Monday, May 9, 2011

Synopsis

My concept for the first topic was ‘children dressing up as animals’. As I started looking at the innocence of children and how they have an ability to play and imagine that is lost with adulthood.

I thought the action of pretending to be another creature, like an animal, as they do was the most intriguing.

I tried to create garments inspired by fairy tale dress styles, as well as mythological creatures, as I associate fairy tale stories and concepts heavily with children’s learning, play and imagination. Interestingly, I found that clothing associated with fairy tales seemed to mostly be unrelated to a particular time period.

My aim for this topic is to design a middle market children’s wear line. I want to continue the playful children’s fairy tale look, and the concept of children dressing up as animals / playing make believe from my first topic, but I will use these concepts in a more commercially viable way than in my first project.

For my collection I would like to design winter or outerwear garments, as well as base / under layers. Ideally, I hope to design versatile garments that can all be mix and matched with each other easily, as well as clothing that the client may already own so that they would be more appealing to consumers.

I would like my collection to be appealing to children – who would be the ones wearing the garment, as well as parents – who would be the ones buying the garments. This may be challenging as children and adults usually have quite different views on clothing, as kids are more influenced by trends and looking cool, while parents would be more concerned with practicality, quality and the potential life span of the garments.

I would like to increase the number of colours I include. I think that more colours would mean that I could develop my ideas further, and make my collection more commercial. However, I would like to keep the colours I add within the same kind of colour palette/ flow aesthetically with the browns, blues and white/crèmes I used in the first topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment